Building a social media marketing strategy is much like building a house. You have to build everything in the right order. Here is a social media marketing strategy for you to follow. It is simple but it provides the basic components of a successful strategy.
The foundation of your social media marketing strategy
The first thing with any house build is to build the foundations. This is what everything else rests on. The foundation of any social media strategy is your website. This is your brand hub. The quality of your foundation is key here. As a minimum standard your website needs to be a pleasure for your potential clients to view and to navigate. It should be easy to access the information they are looking for. It should be tablet and mobile friendly.
The walls of your social media marketing strategy
The walls of your building are made up of what we call "long tail marketing platforms". Those platforms are primarily the following:
- Google+ Business Page
- Google+ Local Page (for local businesses)
- Google+ Personal Page
- YouTube Channel
- Website Blog (Linked through Google+ for Google Authorship)
What makes these "long tail marketing platforms" is that everything you do there is indexed by Google, and gets returned in Google search, if of sufficient quality and relevant to the enquiry.
The walls will last a long time and stand up under all conditions. Content on the above platforms remains in search and is exponentially powerful over time, making this the most important place to concentrate your marketing on.
The windows of your social media marketing strategy
The windows of the building are made up from what we call "short tail marketing platforms". These platforms are primarily the following:
What makes these "short tail marketing platforms" is that everything you do there is NOT indexed by Google and cannot be found in search (some exceptions apply). This marketing is useful for gaining short term attention from potential clients. It needs to be repeated frequently.
The roof of your social media marketing strategy
The roof covers the building and represents the message and the story you are telling to your intended audience. Consistency is key here. Your message must remain consistent at all times, across all of your media.
The ten steps to building your social media marketing strategy
Once you have the general plan you can go on to build your house - this is the complete approach to social media marketing. Here are ten simple steps to achieve this:
- Identify what your perfect client looks like
- Identify what they think a perfect supplier should look like
- Make sure your web presence communicates your perfect suitability to your potential client
- Build your foundation - make sure your website communicates your message through all devices, make sure it is friendly to navigate and attractive to look at
- Build your walls - create your presence on all Google channels that will enable effective long tail marketing
- Fit your windows - decide which short tail platforms are most relevant to your potential client base
- Build your roof - make sure every element of your marketing is consistent in its message
- Focus your marketing on your perfect client, a message is more powerful when it is directed at a specific market segment
- Create long tail marketing content and communicate it through your long tail marketing platforms
- Take that long tail marketing content and create short tail marketing content from it. that is, promote the long tail content through short tail content
That is the basic process of building a social media marketing strategy.
We help people build a web presence that works and provide training on effective social media marketing strategies. If you would like a free audit of your online presence please contact us.